Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Felt backed tablecloth stuck to antique table

Question
I inherited a dining room set from my grandmother that has been in my family for several generations. Unfortunately my grandmother had a felt backed tablecloth covering the table for many years. The felt seems to have melted into the finish. I have tried many things to remove it but it just seems like it is a part of the finish. And the finish almost seems gummy. It is a beautiful set and I would like to restore it. What should I do? I am new to this and I certainly don't want to ruin it. Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi Stephanie
Nice to hear from you.
If you have already tried several methods to remove this, its likely you will have to take drastic measures to remove this felt you say has melted into the finish.
No doubt you have already tried mineral spirits, lacquer thinner and alchohol.
So the final fix is to refinish the top.
Paint stripper will remove this without question but it removes everything down to bare wood and the top will have to have the finish replaced.
Stephanie this is not a big job for a pro and should not be hugely costly.
It sounds to me like this lovely old family heirloom deserves a proper fix by a pro.
Now, if you decide you want to do this yourself, I will give you the info but I will want some pictures of the table and damage.
Regards
Eileen  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Eileen Cronk