You are here:

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Help! Cant figure out what hinges to use!!!!



Original hinge
Original hinge  

I am in the process of re-painting my 1980s era kitchen cabinets. In error, I threw away most of the old hinges because they were ugly. Now, after the fact, I'm noticing they seemed to have been the only ones that work for my type of cabinet.

My cabinets all have an angled cut out in them, which allows for the hinges to be concealed. The hinges themselves have an angled portion too that fit perfectly in the cut out. I'm almost finished with my project and can't figure out where to find this type of hinge (I've looked all over the Internet) or what newer options to use. I'm desperate and frustrated!

Thanks for any help,


This appears to be a type of semi-concealed face frame hinge.  I've seen this style at some point.  You may be able to get a hinge that has a flat plate, and simply bend it to the correct angle, or have a sheet metal shop do it.  Or, depending on how it's installed, another hinge can work.  

If you can, please send a photo of one hinge installed on the cabinet, without the door.  

In the meantime, e-main your request and pics to these excellent suppliers:


Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)


I can answer questions regarding woodworking, cabinetmaking, architectural woodwork (interior and exterior), and the design of same. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.


I have 25 years experience as a professional woodworker and cabinetmaker. I have a lot of experience in the design and fabrication of casework (built-ins, bookcases, entertainment centers) as well as free-standing furnishings including beds, tables, etc.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]