Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/old dresser to vanity

Question
I want to use an old dresser as a bathroom vanity. I want to replace the top with marble or granite. My question is...how do I get the top off without damaging the piece? Thanks for your help.
Rusty

Answer
Rusty,
My first part of the answer; would to say very carefully!
Without seeing the dresser; it is difficult to answer this question.

Look to see if there are any screws holding the top to the base; these have to be revoved first.
Most antiques tops are glued; along with inserting the screws or nails.
You should be able to see; from which direction, the nails have been inserted.
Very carefully; see if you can insert a thin screw driver; of metal piece - between the top and base.  Don't put pressure on the area; either up or down - the older wood can split and dent very easily.  If you can get a separation; without pressure - continue - and make sure that there aren't any areas - that are spliting, because of what you are doing.
We sometimes use a rubber mallet; from inside the dresser to see if we can get the adhered area to separate.
Again; be careful and take your time, in which ever endeaver you use.

As you will notice; the builders of those antiques, built them to stay together for a long time.

Please let me know if this helps at all; and if you have any further questions.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge