Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/old dresser to vanity

I want to use an old dresser as a bathroom vanity. I want to replace the top with marble or granite. My question do I get the top off without damaging the piece? Thanks for your help.

My first part of the answer; would to say very carefully!
Without seeing the dresser; it is difficult to answer this question.

Look to see if there are any screws holding the top to the base; these have to be revoved first.
Most antiques tops are glued; along with inserting the screws or nails.
You should be able to see; from which direction, the nails have been inserted.
Very carefully; see if you can insert a thin screw driver; of metal piece - between the top and base.  Don't put pressure on the area; either up or down - the older wood can split and dent very easily.  If you can get a separation; without pressure - continue - and make sure that there aren't any areas - that are spliting, because of what you are doing.
We sometimes use a rubber mallet; from inside the dresser to see if we can get the adhered area to separate.
Again; be careful and take your time, in which ever endeaver you use.

As you will notice; the builders of those antiques, built them to stay together for a long time.

Please let me know if this helps at all; and if you have any further questions.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Joe Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.