Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Sealer for art table top.

Question
I'm building an art table so my wife has a good place to paint her cowheads. What would be the best way to seal the table top so that if paint gets on it, it could be easily cleaned? Ideally I'd like to keep the natural wood finish so I don't want to paint it. I can only think of maybe a wax rubbed down on the table prior to her painting so it would catch the paint drips? Thank you.
Note: table top would be reclaimed pallet (prob pine)

Answer
Hi Steve, with Pine, there's really no finish that will allow you to clean off dried paint easily with out damaging the surface...a good Acrylic Urethane finish will seal the table completely (with 3-4 coats),dry quickly, and allow wet/ still damp, paint to be washed off...but any surface finish will eventually succumb to repeated washing, etc...an oil finish like WaterLox is also an option, but Pine is so soft it will soak that up like a sponge and each coat will need to dry 24hrs between coats, and final cure takes weeks. In my experience the only surface that will stand up is formica or a solid surface top, and used ones can be found at a tag sale, junk shop, craigslist (always check the "free" section!), etc...for very little money...and can be cut to size with a sharp carbide circular saw..( just cut it upside down for a clean cut).If you desire a bigger table, the sheets of material are available in 4'x8' and can easily be glued to a plywood/MDF type substrate. You can use solvents, and a sharp chisel and/or single edged razor blade with abandon to clean that surface, and it will last for years... I have several work tables made from easily accessible Birch Plywood,(qualities vary), that I have finished with Zar Ultramax, a high performance acrylic urethane, that have held up pretty well, and are fairly durable....steer away from Minwax Polycrylic, it is a consumer grade product that offers 1/4 of the toughness and durability of the Zar..hope that gives you some insight...please post back if need be.
Greg

http://www.amazon.com/ZAR-36112-Gloss-Modified-Polyurethane/dp/B002MPTBBK/ref=pd

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl