Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/staining

Question
My wife and I are refinishing our 25 year old oak dining room table and staining it a deeper color. The stain has turned out great. When varnishing with Helmsman, during the first coat, we dipped(I know!)  the staining pad into the gallon can and of course the stain transferred into the can. I have just sanded the first coat and am reluctatnt to use the rest of the Helmsman as it has bonded with the stain that made it back into the can. I have filtered through a sock but it does not separate. What would you do?
Thank you,
Michael

Answer
Hi Mike, what kind of stain are we talking about?...can you clarify "bonded with the the stain"?? If there was just a bit of color introduced into the Hellmsman, and it mixes in, then it likely wouldn't be too much of an issue. Color is added to finish quite often to change hue, deepen color, etc...but it has to be a compatible mix, and typically these are dye based pigments... but if the two are not mixing then you must get rid of the rest...you'll never separate the two, and it will make a mess, affect dry time, clarity, etc., etc.
Post back,
Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl