Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Tongue and groove cedar ceiling and walls

Question
We are renovating our 50 year old cabin.  Gothic arch design so EVERYTHING is cedar t & g on two floors.  There appears to be one coat of a sealer on the wood.  We would like to lighten the look somewhat as it is a bit dark, especially in the loft.  Doing a complete sanding is not really feasible for me ...  
I am wondering about doing a paint/ glaze so the wood grain still shows through, or possibly a milk paint.  Very afraid of making a big mistake though.  Thoughts, advice, recommendations, guidance?  We are pretty handy.  Thanks!

Answer
Hi Debbie, sorry about the late reply...you'll have to experiment on the actual material to know what course to take. Cedar is so soft that anything you apply to it is going to absorb quickly and deeply, and drastically change the color as well, except for perhaps a paint wash/glaze technique....wish I had an easier, more direct answer, but that's the nature of this old, dry material. Best of luck,. feel free to post back anytime,
Regards
Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl