Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Cabinet Hinges


Hello - I built my first vanity and decided to add some detail by recessing the doors by 1/8 inch.  I now cannot find a hinge that will work as all the hinges seem to only work with flush doors.  Do these hinges exist?  Any suggestions?


Hi Chris,

I think what you're looking for is an inset hinge. You will probably have to use a european cup hinge, as those are the only type that I have seen available as an inset hinge. Here is a link:

There are many brands, so you have a lot to choose from - in color, and cup size. Make sure you buy the right kind of mounting plate to mount the hinge to - you need both the hinge part, and the mounting plate. Two parts per hinge, so if it's 2 doors, you'll need 4 hinges and four base mounting plates.

Hope this helps,

Jamie in Vegas  

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jamie Yocono


Woodworker, Furniture designer/builder, industrial arts educator. Bachelor degree in Furniture Design, and journeyman carpenter, with a 4 year apprenticeship. Currently owner of custom furniture/cabinet shop in Las Vegas, NV. Can answer most woodworking questions EXCEPT those regarding repairs, refinishing, and antiques.


Bachelor in Furniture Design - Ohio University (1980) Journeyman Carpenter, Local 639 Adult educator - Developed adult education woodworking program for the University of Akron, and taught classes there for 9 years. Opened a private woodworking school in Las Vegas, NV and teach private and semi-private lessons. In 2011, I will begin teaching UNLV woodworking classes at my school. Sweet!

Furniture Society

Tile Design and Installation Magazine (Article on inlaying tile into wood)

Journeyman Union Carpenter Bachelors degree in Furniture Design (Ohio University) College of Hard Knocks!

©2017 All rights reserved.