Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/refinishing

Question
I am refinishing my 25 year old dining room table. I believe it's oak but am not sure.  I have applied the stripper, removed the old vanish and I am now sanding.  I am having a hard time deciding if I am down to the wood.  The table still feels very smooth.  What happens if I try a small amount of stain and it does not look right or does not penetrate?  Is there a way to remove the stain and continue stripping/sanding?  Maybe I am just being too cautious?

Answer
Hi Millie, it sounds like you've taken on a job that requires a fair amount of knowledge and experience to do well. Dining tables are among the most difficult projects to do properly and professionally without a fair amount of real world experience and some pretty good finishing "chops". With out seeing it, I am hard pressed to give you any advice, except to say if you've never attempt such a project before...you're in for a steep learning curve. Please post back.
Regards, Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl