Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Best way to re-attach leather seat to rocker?

Question
I've got an antique-ish rocking chair that folds up (badly) like a 'Director's Chair'.  The url shows a rocker like mine.  I see this style is referred to as a "Costa Rica Rocking Chair."  Indeed, the leather on mine has a lot of tooling on it and does say "Costa Rica."

http://www.tropicalboutique.com/chairs.htm

Anyway, the leather seat and back is about 1/4" thick and was held on by a row of tacks on each side which were pulling out and rusting away.  I'm refinishing the chair and am ready to put the leather back on, but I'm afraid the tacks won't be strong enough to hold the seat long-term.  What is a good way to re-attach the seat and back (but especially the seat) that is going to allow that leather to support large people sitting for a long time?

Thanks
- Curt

Answer
Hey Curt, these types of leather seat ARE usually only held on with tacks, and it's quite strong if good, headed upholstery tacks are used.The head of the nail actually does most of the holding, so it's important to drive the nail all the way in to make good contact with the leather when installing. On your comment of "support large people sitting for a long time", I wouldn't suggest large people sit on folding chairs that are designed for average body types.....and this style and design of chair is NOT a good fit for 'large' people..as a Restorer, I have repaired, or tried to repair, piles of broken chairs many, many times...and too much weight, a loose frame, or a design made for average people's height and /or weight, or a frame made from some Asian or Tropical wood that's not strong enough, rank at the top of the reasons why they break.The leather would not be the weak point in such a scenario. The wooden parts, and their design, joinery, and/or material will be the weak point, especially as the parts age and dry out. I like to buy leather nails and tacks from a leather company..and you should be sure to use a heavy duty nail that's designed for that use, like these:

http://springfieldleather.com/134/Upholstery-Tacks/  

Hope that helps,
Regards, Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl