Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Building oak bookcase

Question
Thank you for your help. Project is building 79 inch tall bookcase from red oak. My plan is to use dada joints and wood glue with no metal screws and only wood for the bookcase.  The sides are 1.25 inch thick red oak 79 inches tall and 11 inches wide special ordered from lumber yard.  I have 1x12 red oak 3/4 inch  thick shelves that I want to make 66 inches wide. I have 1x3 red oak boards to use to put under front of shelves to keep the shelves from sagging. I want to use 1/2 inch deep dado slots to attach shelves to sides.  I know that 66 inch wide shelves are very wide and I am hoping the 1x3s will stop sagging . Is that possible and will wood glue hold everything together for many years.  Thanks much.

Answer
Hey Mark, there really is no need for such thick, specially ordered sides, unless it's an aesthetic choice for looks, and of course you know that 66 inch wide shelves are way to long, even with a 1x3" support. Unless you are just displaying a few feathers, there's no way these shelves will not sag over time. Glue should be fine, if done well, but the longest shelf span one should design is about 32", without some vertical support. You could design a vertical support system that supports the center of these long shelves,and is not part of the carcass, that transfers the weight down to the floor, but 66" without such support will not stay flat without sagging, period. Please post back if need be.
Regards, Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl