Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/What Finish?

Rustic X Coffee Table
Rustic X Coffee Table  
Hi, I am planning on building this coffe table (link below) and I was wondering what type of finsh and what color finsh to use in order to make it look exactly like the one I am trying to build.

Thanks for the email.
It is difficult to tell if the table has been lightly stained; of if, it is has a clear primer and a clear finish applied  -- allowing the natural color of the wood to be seen.

Maybe you could take a blown-up picture to a color - matcher in an Ace Hardware or Home Depot etc. to see if they can pick-up the hue (color appearance) of the wood.

If I were going to use a finish on the table; I would use a satin tung-oil product.
We use Zar tung oils in our woodcare business.

It is easy to apply with a 4" sponge brush - follow the instruction closely about applying and preping for the next application.

Done correctly; you could make the sheen to match that of the picture.

I wouldn't use a color finish. I feel that a color and finish mixed together; take away some of the depth perception of the wood.
I would first us an oil base stain - what ever the color comes up on the computer color scanner - and then use the tung oil finish.

I don't know if this helps or not -- please email if you neen any clarity of my email.

Good luck,

Joseph A. Eldredge
Conscientious Wood Care

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Joseph A. Eldredge

We have been in the wood care business for almost 30 years (we are still learning) We do refurbishing and touch-up of furniture, paneling, antiques etc. The number one question that we receive; is what do I use on my furniture, to keep it looking moisturized, clean and get the depth perception back into the finish. I believe we can help on products to use and answer questions on why we don't use certain products that are available to us. I am sure that there are many questions on wood care that we can't answer; but, give us a try anyway. We find that many people use products for maintaining the wooden furniture, etc., and can't understand the reason it looks worse as they continue to use certain products. Most people use the products that their mothers and grandmothers used. Finishes on furniture have come a long way; from shellacs, waxes, varnishes etc. Give us an email and see if we can help with some of your questions and concerns.

Have worked in Omni, Brown Palace etc. hotels. Have refurbish items in the Colorado Govenors mansion and the Colorado Capital building etc. We have been caring for millions of dollars worth of furniture and antiques for large corporations for years.

Have received certificates from numerous companies who teach wood care clases through-out the country.