Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Wooden baseboard covers

Question
I really like the look of the wooden baseboard covers that I have seen a few people posting. I was wondering if the heat is still radiated the same, and if it would make sense to line the would with tin to radiate more  heat?

Answer
Hi Charlene, the heat from these type of units is really spread more by convection.Rising heat pulling cooler air at the floor level up past the heating fins, and heating the area..adding tin or any other material would likely not increase the heat output. That really relies on the air movement from floor to ceiling..anything that impedes the convection would slow heat transfer. I suppose anything that was added for mass, (tin, stone, etc..) would heat up and therefore possibly hold heat a little longer at the floor, but I don't think that translates into any change in the actual amount of heat you would really experience...actually, impeding the airflow from the convection by putting a box around the baseboard units might actually cause them to heat less efficiently/effectively, and slow down the air transfer.. actually keeping the room cooler..and requiring more energy ($) to achieve the same relative heat. My opinion at least..It would be interesting to see what an HVAC guy/gal thought.
Post back if need be,
Regards, Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl