Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/getting a smooth finish

Question
I have recently been doing a project in my home.  I did a remodel to our bathroom.  So I was refinishing some of the wood cabinets and they were coming out really well.  I stripped them, stained them and then went to put varnish on it and I seem to be getting these tiny bubbles that do not all go away when it is dry so the finish isn't quite as perfect as I'd like it to be.  Do I need to thin it some how, or what do I need to do?  Any suggestions?  I am using a product called helmsman spar urethane and it is water based.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Richard, please give me more info about your staining schedule...type, manufacturer, application method, dry time, etc...usually this results from either incompatible stain and topcoats, or the stain is not fully dry, or the stain was applied too thickly, and not wiped off properly or thoroughly enough...some waterborne topcoats are very finicky with oil stains...stripper residue can also cause issues, if the stripper was not washed down with the appropriate afterwash before staining, and the surface not completely dry. I would not thin the topcoat at all...or at the very least NOT with water...only the appropriate thinners should be used with these coatings...waterborne is not water based..typically it's glycol ethers which are water soluble, but water should not be used to thin these...it's also important to stir these products well before and during application, never shake the can to mix, and lay the finish on quickly and deliberately, tipping off immediately as you go, and not over brushing.....
Post back..
Regards, Greg

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl