Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks/Undermount Drawer Off Track

QUESTION: Hello! I recently purchased a vintage Lane Rhythm credenza with three drawers and door. However, during the move home, it appears the middle drawer has come off the track (single undermount track for each drawer; drawers are friction release).

Now the drawer won't open and close smoothly, but because it's off the track I can't get the friction release to function to remove the drawer and get it back on track. Any suggestions? It's beautiful piece and I don't want to mess it up!

ANSWER: Hi Cindy, I am unfamiliar with how the slides mount to the drawer. but I assume they're attached by screws ...perhaps you could completely remove the drawer that way to troubleshoot and replace the drawer on the track.The screws would easily go back into their original holes once back on the track...a picture might be helpful...please post back.
Regards, Greg

Front screw
Front screw  
Track underneath
Track underneath  
QUESTION: Thanks Greg. I took a few pictures, but I'm not sure if you can see the issue because it's underneath the drawer. There is a screw on the front of the track that I can remove, but because I can't get the rear of the drawer out of the unit, I can't get to the screw there to release it. Let me know if you have any ideas!

ANSWER: Hi Cindy, if you pull the drawer all the way out can't you just pop it back into the track?...there are 4 little "detents" there in the picture of the track and they may be there to allow the track rail to be reinserted...

drawer rear
drawer rear  
QUESTION: I wish. I can get the drawer pulled completely out, and will wiggle a bit, but I can't get it "over the hump" so to speak. I pulled out one of the other drawers last night to see what's going on in there, and I think it's guide piece shown in the attached picture that's stopping me up. The picture is the very back of the drawer, so that's where the other screw is for the track, and it's exactly the part I can't get to because I can't get the drawer out. Ugh!

I think the drawer should just pull all the way may not feel like it because its off the track, but seems to me you'll have to force it to come out...I am unsure as to what else you could do...but the drawer should pull free like the others,...just with more force...

Cabinets, Furniture, Woodworks

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects, Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings, wood species recognition and usage,tool recommendations, blade types and recommendation,techniques and methods for many Woodworking related issues, etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.) Sold, built, serviced, setup Home, Industrial, and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools , provided knowledge, parts replacement, service, and on site service, Trade show Demo, and training as well.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002) ...("27 year compilation of expert know-how")

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars from major Tool manufacturers, Skil/Bosch, Delta, Powermatic, Ritter, Porter cable, Milwaukee, Dewalt/B&Decker, Performax.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT. (the Antiques capital of CT.), Golden Age of Trucking Museum,Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies. For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.