My cactus has developed a narrow stem.  Can I bury it in soil to offer some support

Hi Bernard

Cacti can not be buried above where their stems touch the soil, otherwise they will rot.

Leave it alone for a few months, until the warmer weather comes around again when it is actively growing and re-pot it.

A lot of cacti do what yours is doing and this condition affects mainly old plants.

Try putting in a stake so it does not collapse but do re-pot in spring or summer into a pot only a tad larger than the one it is already.

There is not much else you can do for it but feed it and put it in a bright light.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Alderson

I cannot answer questions about pruning and minimum winter temperatures of most species. I cannot answer questions about propagation from seed.

I have been growing cacti for a couple of years and have acquired about 35 cacti and about 15 different succulents. I have propagated some of them successfully and grown them into plants. I know how to re-pot and plant them and what time of year. I know mostly about desert cacti and only a bit about the jungle cacti. The jungle cactus that I know most about is the Schlumbergera. I know a lot about Aloe Aristata and this species is the first type that introduced to this category. I know about the propagation of most species and how to care for them. I can answer questions about watering, feeding and how to keep them healthy. I also know how to induce flowering in most cacti and succulents. I do a lot of reading and have got quite a few books and I have the internet to read up on different species. I know a bit about the classification about the different genus' and families.

Trade Base Community Allotment Society.

I have an NVQ Level 1 in horticulture.