We have a tall, thin cactus (not sure what kind) about 30'' tall and maybe 15 years old. After moving to a new house, the cactus started to wilt. On our last move it also wilted, but after propping it up for awhile it restored to straight. This time, it was briefly in a not very warm part of the house, but now it is back by the woodstove where it was before we moved, but still is brown on the one side (the other side looks great). Should we cut off the top at the bend?

Hi Kayla

By the sound of it, it looks like your cactus is suffering from stress. Cacti do not like sudden changes in temperature and dislike the light levels fluctuating. With your plant being old, it is fairly fragile and is prone to damage from stressing over the different changes.

They also need to be kept dry at this time of year and if not, they will be prone to rot and fungus.

Your cactus is going through alot at the moment and needs some TLC. What you need to do is cut out the damaged parts and put a stake in the pot to hold it up. It may be pot-bound too and needs fresh compost. Re-pot your plant in spring(about April or May) and use compost that has some sand mixed in to help drainage.

Your cactus should be alright once it settles in.

Hope this helps.

Your cactus looks like its a Pilocereus.

Jonathan Alderson

I cannot answer questions about pruning and minimum winter temperatures of most species. I cannot answer questions about propagation from seed.

I have been growing cacti for a couple of years and have acquired about 35 cacti and about 15 different succulents. I have propagated some of them successfully and grown them into plants. I know how to re-pot and plant them and what time of year. I know mostly about desert cacti and only a bit about the jungle cacti. The jungle cactus that I know most about is the Schlumbergera. I know a lot about Aloe Aristata and this species is the first type that introduced to this category. I know about the propagation of most species and how to care for them. I can answer questions about watering, feeding and how to keep them healthy. I also know how to induce flowering in most cacti and succulents. I do a lot of reading and have got quite a few books and I have the internet to read up on different species. I know a bit about the classification about the different genus' and families.

Trade Base Community Allotment Society.

I have an NVQ Level 1 in horticulture.