Cadillac Repair/1992 Cadillac intermittant start/cranking

Question
QUESTION: Cadillac sometimes will turn over and start. Other times when you turn the key to on, the security light stays on and it won't crank even though everything else works.  When it works, I turn the key to on, wait a couple of seconds for the security light to go off and then I hear a single click coming from the engine compartment.  Could there be a bad relay that sometimes sticks and that is why sometimes it won't crank?

ANSWER: Hello,

Notorious for problems in the steering column wiring leading to the ignition lock cylinder the VATS (Ugly resistor chip in ignition key) is most likely the answer. Cadillac charges $700 for a new ignition lock cylinder/Harness. Its best to bypass it and be done with the problems.

The easiest way is to call auto alarm stores and ask if they have a VATS bypass kit for remote start. These are extra and cost the store nothing. You will not be putting remote start in, just bypassing the VATS. They will install the correct resistor and bypass the steering column ignition lock cylinder. Should cost around $60. This should end your problems.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Hello,

Last spring I bypassed the resistor chip.  The problem seesm to occur when I take a run to the store or gym and only let the car sit for less than an hour.  If it sits for more than an hour, then the problem doesn't occur.

ANSWER: Hello,

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like a bad starter from your description.
On starters having internal problems when warmed up, we used to strike them a couple of times and engine would start. Brushes stick causing a problem shut off warm and no problem with a cold engine.

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Hi Rob,

It is getting stranger. This morning at 7am I went out to start the car. The temp was in the low 50s (Arizona).   The security light stayed on and it would not crank...no clicks or anything. I had to run to a Tennis meet so just left it and took our other car. I just now (1:40pm)(72 degrees)went out and turned the key.  After 2-3 seconds the security light went off.  I turned the key to start and it turned over and started.

Answer
Hello,

The first disadvantage I have is that I am not with the vehicle at the time it is acting up. Possibly the resistor you had installed is coming loose at its connection. This vehicle may have the optional factory installed alarm as well giving you the problem. I would suggest trying to obtain a factory service manual through Ebay or Craigs list. What makes all this even more difficult to diagnose is the fact that these problems do not happen all the time.
To find out of the vehicle is equipped with a factory installed alarm, you can get the options list by contacting a dealer and giving them the VIN.

I have gone off your descriptions, but when intermittent, I am like you in which I am left guessing. I do not get into factory alarm issues because they were very troublesome to diagnose when the problem existed.
I truly wish I could give you a standard answer, but there is none for your situation. I suppose we can eliminate a starter problem for now with the security light coming on and disabling the starter. This could be a connection issue, a bad printed circuit in a factory alarm module. I simply do not have the answer. I have addressed the known issues which is as far as I can go.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter