Cadillac Repair/99 SLS starter issue

Question
Hi Rob, My 99 SLS has had a starting issue for about 6 months. In the morning when I start it for the first time, the starter will engage but not turn the engine over until the 3rd or 4th try, then it usually cranks slowly but starts. Once it has started, I have no further starting problems for the rest of the day. Next morning, same thing. I have checked and cleaned all the grounds I can find even added an engine to chassis ground of my own. I replaced the battery because the original was at least 6 years old. I don't have an amp meter but the voltage does not drop excessively when trying to start so I didn't think the starter was drawing too much current but I'm guessing now that it is maybe a dead spot or the brushes are going bad. Any other suggestions before I rip the manifold off to get at the starter? Thanks, Alan

Answer
Hello Alan,

I am sorry I could not get back to you sooner, but I was in Oregon for a deposition.

Not sure what you mean by the starter engaging, but not turning the engine over. From your description though, I too would be looking at the starter.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter