Cadillac Repair/82 Cadillac

fixit wrote at 2012-12-29 19:53:27
You should first check starter to confirm starter solenoid is pulling in by jumping from large bat terminal on starter to the starter solenoid input connector. if you quickly short the two contacts the starter should kick the solenoid and motor should wind up. if this does not work you have starter problem.

If however starter kicks over you may have an alarm system factory with the starter disable relay under the dash. if this is broken you will not have start.. Also confirm your ignition key is not getting old and loose and contact is not turning all the way to the start terminal. This is under steering column. There is a rode from key down to contact-er.

open up the contact assembly and check the contacts for pitting and arced and melted contacts.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.