Cadillac Repair/99 etc starting and charging issues

Question

I just purchased a 1999 Eldorado ETC from a guy who said it had a problem with the alternator not charging the battery. After getting the car home and digging into it a bit I noticed there was a wire running from the positive battery cable over to the fuel pump relay positive wire. When I remove the wire the vehicle will not start because the fuel pump is not engaged. if I hook the wire back up it starts again but the service charging system light comes on. Do you think it is possible that the wires in the column controlling the VATS could be causing the lack of power running to the fuel pump and also not allowing the alternator to charge when started with a jumper wire?

Answer
Hello,

VATS has nothing to do with your issues. I guaranty this.

Here is how it is: There are two wires running to the positive side of the battery. Your main battery cable and another lead which has either one or two wires attached to the terminal. This wire(s) is for the control of the vehicle electrical system. One of these wires may lead to the alternator.

The ground side has the main cable and a separate wire(s) for body ground.

You need to check the output of the alternator either with an ammeter on the positive cable or a volt meter t the battery terminals. Should be no less than 13.2 volts.

Battery frame grounds go bad. Follow the neg cable to frame. Remove. Grind the frame and reinstall.

Let me know where you are at. None of this effects performance and you have some other event happening.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter