Cadillac Repair/Dead Bettery After 2 Days

Hello. I recently acquired a used 2005 Cadillac Deville. The car died the first 24 hours after taking it home. At first we thought it was the battery since we found the battery that was inserted in the car was the wrong one and much too small. We purchased a new battery and the car lasted 2 days and died again. Our local mechanic ran a diagnostic test on the car and canít find anything wrong. The car starts and runs fine as long as you use it every day. If itís left for 2 days without starting it goes completely dead. Thereís obviously a shortage somewhere thatís draining the battery thatís not easily detectable. Any help or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Iím ready to wave the white flag. Disgusted and frustrated is an understatement.

This is a easy diagnoses for parasitic draw--remove the positive cable from the battery and do this: Insall a test light between the positive cable and the positive battery post.

Remove dome and courtesy fuse first and disconnect hood light. If the test light is on, you need to start removing and replacing fuses to see what circuit is going to turn test light off.

The reason I have you removing the dome and courtesy light fuses is with the assumption you will have the door open when testing.

If the only time the test light will light is with the dme and courtesy fuses in and door closed, that is yopur circuit which the cigar lighter and glove box and trunk light are located. if that be the case, you need to start removing bulbs with the test light illuminated until you find the source.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.