Cadillac Repair/vacuum pump

fixit wrote at 2012-12-29 19:24:27
I have 85 fleetwood gas type same type vacuum system. There are a number of vacuum circuits off the carb. The one you are talking about has vacuum off carb in series with vacuum pump. This supplies vacuum to the interior programmer to supply vacuum actuated controls for air, also emergency brake release. Also off same circuit vacuum is supplied to power brake booster as well as vacuum regulator to the EGR valve, and on to the Evap control valve. Leaky Evap will cause vacuum leaks as well.

The vacuum pump only assists the carb vacuum when low vacuum or off. It will not supply any additional boost vacuum. If open throttle or engine stall the vacuum will be supplied by the pump. Note if you have vacuum leaks it will affect the manifold vacuum level and the MAP sensor will see this a more fuel required and your fuel consumption will go up. Make sure you have absolutely no vacuum leaks or you will have a fuel pig car. Check hoses and worn out vacuum control diagrams as they age they leak. Air management is a good place for leaks.

This pump should turn on as soon as key is in RUN position. If not fuse is gone or pump has seized.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter