Cadillac Repair/1998 Cadillac Deville

I have a 1998 Cadillac Deville.  Great car, haven't had a problem till today.  I was on my way home and noticed that the radio wires where falling down.  "seller took old radio out" I went to lift the wires up, and had a small spark from one of the wires.  When I arrived home I noticed the windows wouldn't go up or down.  Front two down and back two up.  Haven't had any issues with the windows till now.  Also the truck and gas tank release are not responding on the dash and the key pad.  Can open truck with key.  A friend and I checked every fuse and disconnected the battery to reset the system.  Didn't work...?  What should my next step be?  Lights for the power window switches are still working. All other switches, locks, mirrors work fine.

It sounds from your description that the stereo memory wire has a bare spot that grounded to metal. As for the windows, you will have to look at the owner's manual to determine how many fuse boxes are in this car and their location. There is more than one fuse box! Very commonly, owners will think there is only one, but to find there are two or three.
As for the fuse you would be looking for it may be listed under radio memory. Not sure, but the fuel filler door and trunk release are on the same fuse as the memory fuse.

It concerns me that these wires were hanging from the dash. Generally they are not that long unless after market wiring adapters were still installed.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.