Cadillac Repair/my car shuts off

Question
i have a 1976 cadillac eldorado. yesterday my carran out of gas in my drive way. so i went to the gas station and got a gallon of gas. then i went to the gas and put my gas in the car. after that the car started to idle high for some strange reason. the car never did this before. i drove the car today and when i made a complete stop at a stop and let go of the brake the car would speed up on its own. i didnt have my foot on the gas pedal. then when i went to park the car it hesitating to move. when i got into my parking spot the car just shut off on me and when i put the car in reverse it shut off to. what is causing this problem

Answer
Hello,That is a tough one to diagnose without being at the car.
I can only guess which I do not like doing.
Possibly you sucked up rust or some type of residue from running the tank dry. It may have placed debris in the in line filter which is not much of a filter on this style vehicle. This type of filter located in front of the carb will bypass somewhat and let the debris go ito the carb, causing you a real headache. For this reason, back in the 70s  we would drop the fuel tank, have it boiled out. We would disconnect the fuel line at the filter going into the carb. Blow compressed air through it. Then the filter would e removed and the carb was removed and rebuilt. I went through this many times over the years at the dealers. This is an opd car and it is very possible there is rust at the bottom of the inside of the tank. Very common. The sock in the tank should be changed as well.
The symptoms you describe could very well relate my thoughts here. Try changing the inline filter first and see what happens.
Good luck!

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter