Cadillac Repair/1985 cadillac seville service code

Question
When I run service code check it comes up -1.8.8//38//52 what is issue with this code.

Answer
Hello,

This is the old OBD I computer system in which the diagnostic codes were not refined to illustrate the specific problem other than to confuse everything. It wasn't until 1994 when the OBD II was introduced where tje actual problem could be picked up with a tech II scanner.
I serviced the OBD I when these vehicles were new with lots of time and frustration. OTC made a scanner for this system, but bottom line the only way to locate the exact problem without wasting money changing out good parts on a guess is by using a Cadillac manual which you would have to find on Ebay.
I no longer have my code books for this car, but I can tell you 52 is at the computer. This is a chicken egg situation. Did the computer cause the other codes? Did one sensor cause other sensors to cascade and set the computer code? What I am saying in the early days, these codes were far to general. I also hope that you don't consider taking it to a dealer because I can guaranty they will change as many parts as you can afford and not fix the problems.
You have two ways you can go. Either take the vehicle to a reputable service garage for diagnoses and repair or repair yourself using the diagnostic flow charts in the factory manual.
To give an example to the complexity of diagnoses to this system just ising the codes--code 34 is a map sensor which may be bad. Then up comes a code 13 an oxygen sensor and after a little driving, one or more codes in the 50s come up indicating a computer problem. Now, one doesn't want to  be spending the money replacing parts that are not bad and that is why you don't want to guess. If you do it yourself, you can go on the internet and check parts prices at Rock Auto.

Good luck!

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter