Cadillac Repair/1991 Cadillac Brougham - 5.7L V8

Question
1991 cadillac brougham
1991 cadillac brougham  
hey I have a 1991 Cadillac Brougham 5.7L V8. I am having a few problems with it. when i bought it i was told it only needed a battery and fuses. I have put in a new battery and fuses,but the car wont start without a boost. and the power seat and windows on the drivers side do not work, as well as the digital dash, and the exterior limo light on the driver side. Everything on the right side of the car works, and i cannot seem to locate the fuse panel that is under the hood of the car. can you be of assistance?

Answer
Hello,

I would make sure that new battery is good first. New batteries can be bad too. Remove the battery ground from the frame. Scrape or grind frame and replace cable.
If still having problems, you can buy a little ammeter that just fits on the positive cable. Have someone crank the engine and see how many amps the starter is drawing. You can consult with a parts store to see what the acceptable amperage is. You could possibly have a bad starter, or battery cable connection at the starter.

The location of the fuse panels should be in the owners manual. The power seat should not have a fuse, but a circuit breaker that could be missing.
I get suspicious as to why fuses are missing. The windows also should have a cb. I would be looking for missing circuit breakers for the windows and seat and they may be located in tha fuse box under the hood you are trying to find.

Here is the answer I got on an Internet search--"it might also be under the hood on the fire wall. there are 2 black boxes labeled fuses open those up and it should be labeled"

Find that and that might be te source of your problems. If not, get back to me.

As for the opera light. You can pull off some trim panels, turn the lights on an see if you have power going from the harness with a test light, If you do, the light is bad. If I remember right, these may have had a printed circuit board on it and they did fail.

The absolute best tool for you I could recommend and you will find it priceless, is to go on Ebay and get a 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood brougham service manual.
This will guide you through the diagnoses of any problem you have with the car for years to come and save you lots of money, doing your own repairs.

Good Luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter