Cadillac Repair/1991 cadillac deville

QUESTION: my 1991 Cadillac wont start i know that it's a fuel problem i just don't know how to tell what's bad the fuel filter is new and all the relays are good it sat for over a year without being touched that's about all i know

ANSWER: Hello,

The quality of our fine unleaded gasoline turns to varnish after 3 months and does not fire well and that is the purpose of Stabil if the car is going to sit.
When you say it does not start, are you saying the engine cranks and won't fire, or the engine does not crank at all?

QUESTION: it's starts when you spray starter fluid in the card

ANSWER: Hello,

Please for safety sake, don't ever use starter fluid to start an aluminum or any type of gas engine!!! That is of course if you don't want to destroy the pistons or blow a cylinder head off.
Starter fluid is meant for diesels and is very explosive. Next time, place some gasoline in a spray bottle.

You have a fuel delivery problem. The first thing to do is turn ignition on, go back by the fuel filler door and listen for a humming sound. If you don't hear it, the fuel pump isn't working and you need to check all the fuses. if you have to change fuel pump, you have to drop the fuel tank.
If the fuel pump is running, then the problem could go right back to what I originally said, where the gasoline has broken down and is no longer ignitable.

You never stated as to what made you change the filter first. If its bad gasoline, tank has to be dumped and technically boiled out, but reinstalled and you might as well do a pump at that time anyway, so you don't have to pull it apart again. The fuel line going to the engine should be flushed with air. I would also put some STP or any other name fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

QUESTION: thank you for your help...... can you tell me how to fix the error code E30 it's the only code that comes up

This computer system was the OBD I, replaced in 1994 to the OBD II which is still currently used. The only codes I remember from that era are 13 and 34 (O2 sensor and map sensor).
eville service manual. You should be able to find one on Ebay. This will assist you in diagnoses and repair of about anything in the vehicle, including your code, fuel delivery and everything else. Best money you could ever spend!

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.