Cadillac Repair/78 cadillac coupe deville

Question
I'm trying to installed a fuse box my old one burnt out

Answer
Hello,

The first thing I would do is try to obtain a factory service manual for the vehicle, possibly through Ebay. That will cover you for any problems you may run into.

This is not an easy task, because first, you need to know what caused the fuse box to burn out. When you determine that, you will need to go to a salvage yard and find a 77-79 coupe (sedan won't work because you will have wiring for 2 extra doors). You will need the fuse box, harnesses at the fire wall. It's been far too long since I looked at one of these and you may have harness disconnect points. I simply do not remember anymore. If not, you will need to remove whatever harnesses are attached to the fuse box. You will need to disconnect battery in your car of course, and remove and then replace the associated wiring harnesses.

The fuse box is the heart of the electrical system. You should find a bolt or two holding the box to the firewall between the engine and the passenger compartment. The box should separate in two pieces, one towards engine, the other in the passenger compartment. You will probably have to remove dash in order to replace that side of the harness. The tail light harness, should have a disconnect. And if the wiring is burned up on the engine side, you will have to replace that harness as well.
You are looking at a lot of work here and the other problem in the 77-79 GMs was the plastics. You will notice for some reason, being old they have an odor. The plastic is also very brittle from age. Not sure why it was just these years, but even the plastic steering wheels and horn trim commonly broke, so be extremely careful.

I have never seen a complete fuse box burn up, and that alone would indicate to me you had a major short in the harness.

As I said though, before you start this venture, get a factory service manual.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter