Cadillac Repair/83 eldorado

Question
I am rebuilding an 83 Eldo w/ 4.1 v8. Getting trouble codes: -1.8.8, 16, 20, 52, & 53 while pressing off & warmer while key is on. Have replaced: fuel pump, plugs & wires, rotor & cap. Checked for vacuum leaks. Checked all fuses. Car starts & idles fine but hesitates, nearly stalling, when accelerator is depressed. Sometimes will shutdown while idling. Had the instrument cluster rebuilt and is working fine. [Sent it to Advanced Auto Electronics in Midlothian, VA. They rebuilt it for $295 including freight both ways. Good people.] Do I need to replace the ECM? I am certainly NOT an expert mechanic but am rebuilding this car for my beloved wife who has had it since it was new. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you & all the best,
Charley

Answer
Hello,

I have had many of them (always Biriatz).

Not being funny, but I don't see it mentioned. Did you change the fuel filter? You need to be careful reading the codes especially on the OBD I. As I have said many times before, one problem cascades into another. The 50s are the ECM, however does not mean you need and ECM. Do you have a 1983 Cadillac Eldo factory service manual?

Trying to diagnose without the manual will cost you needless money. I left 3 of them in my garage when I left Wisconsin. That sucks!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter