Cadillac Repair/AMC/Renault Alliance 1983 hot start issues.

My son owns a 1983 renault alliance. 1.4L engine with automatic. Engine starts ok when cold but will not restart after being shut off at running temperature. Engine does not overheat and idles ok. Any idea what I should look at?

Thank you.

I remember working on them brand new as well as the Encore. Unfortunately, due to my lack of beig at the vehicle and testing, I am limited to only asking questions in an attempt to assist you.
You say it does not stat once warmed up. What do you mean by not starting? When warm, the engine does not crank? If it cranks, does it fire (attempt to start, or just spins freely?)

I need to ask these questions because commonly, people are not specific as to what the exact starting problem is.
When is the last time the cap, rotor and wires were checked?  A bad coil could also be the problem.Have you checked fuel pump pressure, cold engine/warm engine?
I don't remember any more if this vehicle had an electronic ignition module. If so, vehicles so equipped would start fine cold and once warm would not start due to internal failure from heat. Again, its been over 20 years since I was under the hood of an Alliance and am just throwing some thoughts at you.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.