Cadillac Repair/cadillac tail lights stay on and information dash say theft system problem car may not start

Question
hello rob i have a 97 Cadillac and the tail lights stay on even when the key is out of the front headlights cut off it started when the battery went dead charged the battery and they still are on then the information box displayed theft system problem car may not start but the car cranks and runs fine what can i do to get these problems taken care of without going to the dealership paying 500 to 700 dollars to fix it I NEED HELP

Answer
Hello,

The VATS is not acting correctly and one of these days the engine will not start with that message. I would recommend bypassing the VATS, because it will leave you stranded some day. Very common!
Just contact the local alarm stores and see who can bypass it for you. Done all the time for remote start. Should cost about $60 and should get the light out.

Unfortunately, there are too many different problems that can eist on the tail lights. Could be a bad twilight sentinel, a bad ECM etc. Without being at the car, I honestly do not know.

I would never take a car to the dealer for anything but warranty and sometimes on transponder key issues and they are limited. Try to find a reputable repair garage. Most have the same diagnostic equipment a dealer does and you get by with a reasonably cost repair.

You can also attempt to purchase a Cadillac service manual from Ebay and try to diagose and repair yourself.

No matter what, the VATS has to be bypassed to prevent starting issues in the future. Think about it-1986 technology used until 2005 on the Corvettes. Relate it back to   owning a 1986 computer.

Good Luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter