Cadillac Repair/Electrical System is Dead

Question
I have a 1978 Cadillac Seville. The entire electrical system is dead. The battery is new, had it tested to make sure; everything tests out good. Where would you recommend that I start to check things out further? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has had a problem with battery drain in the past.

Answer
Hello,

You are not giving me much to work with here. You state this car has had a battery draw for a yea. What did you do about it? Did you isolate the circuit when you knew you had this issue.
You need to purchase a factory Cadillac service manual for this car. Otherwise you are just guessing and wasting money on components that may have not nothing to do with the problem.

I will give you a couple ideas, but other than that, without being at the car with a factory service manual, it is impossible to expect an instant Internet fix, that is not going to happen.

You could check for a fusible link on the ed positive wire going into the back of the alternator. Then you can check the positive wires (not the battery cable) for blown fusible links. The way to determine if a fusible link is blown will be to pull on the wire. If it seems like rubber, you need to disconnect the negative battery cable, the positive battery cable, cut the fusible link leaving plenty of room for wire coming from eyelet, or you may have to replace that as well. Pars store have fusible link in bulk and can help you, if in fact that is the problem.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter