Cadillac Repair/ignition?

2000 caddy dhs
I get in the car, turn the key, nothing happens. I make sure gear shift is in position,and even move steering wheel. All dash lights come on. When I go to engine compartment and open fuse box, I pull out large starting circuit fuse, stick it back in and the car will start. I replaced that fuse with a new one, but it can still happen. I cleaned all contacts with elec. contact cleaner, still from time to time it will do this. I am beginning to suspect the ignition switch. I notice that I must turn the switch just about all the way for it to connect. I mean it only connects at that last sixteenth of an inch or so. I am planning on a road trip to Florida soon and I do not want to be broke down on the road.
Thanks for being there.

It sounds like a bad electrical ignition switch, not to be confused with the mechanical key/lock cylinder. The ignition switch is located under the plastic shrouds on the left side of the steering column.

Many people think the key/lock cylinder is the ignition and in reality, the ignition lock actuates the electrical ignition switch to start the engine.  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.