Cadillac Repair/Gear fault indicator

I have a 1995 Cadillac Deville that has a gear fault indicator message showing. All (p,r,n,d,3,2,1) positions are circled with the exception of park and reverse when shifting into drive. The Service Vehicle Soon message also comes on. It does not at this time prevent me from operating the vehicle, but is an annoyance. On occassion when driving one time I noticed that I was not getting much acceleration only to discover that I was driving in(1)without feeling any slip in the transmission. After slowing down and re accelerating, the indicator went back to drive like normal. Hopefully it's something less serious than a need to replace the transmission and just something wrong with a gear shift mechanism. What does it sound like to you? Thanks !

Let's make this very simple. The check engine light tells you there is a problem with the emission/computer problem. You cannot ignore this because it eventually could do damage to the engine/transmission. You need to take the vehicle to a repair shop (not a dealer). They will connect a scanner to your on board diagnostic port under the steering column. The scanner will determine the exact problem. This could be a very simple fix and something as simple as a cracked or disconnected vacuum line can be your problem. You could have a bad sensor.
With the check engine light illuminated (Very poor terminology-of course your engine is there!-lol) your mileage and performance will suffer greatly.
Since everything electronically is linked in the vehicle, your symptoms can vary greatly from time to time. This may be a transmission problem, but it could also be a sensor controlling the transmission. Get it checked out. You will be told as to the diagnostic code or codes causing your problem. The problem can be accurately pin pointed. The nice thing is that you have the newer OBD II system that is the standard still used today. If you had the older system ending in 1993, there was lots of guess work trying to determine what exactly set the code.

Try to get into a repair shop as soon as possible before you do transmission damage. Please be so kind as to get back with me as to what exactly was determined to be the problem causing the check engine light to come on.

Good Luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.