Cadillac Repair/95 cadillac cranking

Question
When cranking it acts like it doesn't want to turn over good, like a weak battery or bad connection, and then it cranks OK.  After driving it gets worse to crank.  Checked battery connections, replaced starter, new battery, checked fuses.  Does this year have a starter enabling relay?  Or am I looking at an ignition or ignition wiring problem? Thanks.

Answer
Hello Rodney,

Yes, your car has VATS for a so-called anti theft system. That is what that big ugly black resistor chip on the key is for.

The bad news-VATS is not your problem. If it was a VATS problem, engine would not turn over at all. You may have changed that starter, but to be honest the starter sounds like it is no good. If you had that much resistance in the ignition wiring which is only 10-12 gauge, I would think you would burn up a fusible link or start that wiring on fire.

I would suggest that you find out from a parts store how much amperage the starer is supposed to draw. Then by a cheap (under $10 ammeter)and put it to the battery cable and have someone crank the starter. If drawing $600 amps, that confirms your replacement starter is no go.

Before you do that though, disconnect the neg battery cable at the frame. File the frame, grind it, what even you need to fdo to make sure you have a eal good ground. Reattach the cable.

One other thought you might not like. Possibly the engine jumped time with a slipped timing chain.

Get back to me on your fix.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter