Cadillac Repair/1966 cadillac deville conv,

Question
I am restoring a 1966 cadillac deville convertible my steering column  is pretty lousy can I replace it with a after market one and if so , what length is it mines does not even have tilt .

Thanks

Answer
Hello,

You are going to have to go under the hood and measure the shaft from the rag joint to where the two pieces bolt together. I don't know who makes an after market steering column for these pre 69-vehicles with a dash mounted ignition. The fact that it would be tilt or non-tilt should not play a role for length. If you can get a column for the car, the hot set up would be to get a complete column with steering wheel that is tilt and telescoping. Again, the legth under the hood and the mounting should all be the same, but before you order it, you need to have measured the length of the shaft from the rag joint if they would be supplying everything for the steering column.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter