Cadillac Repair/1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Question
I have a 1981 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham that has only 7200 original miles on it. When I drive the car, it stalls out on me when I'm going down the road. It has the 8-6-4 valve engine and I have taken to the Cadillac dealership, and they have no idea what's causing the problem. They can only suggest getting a major tune up on it, and cant guarantee that will fix the problem. When the car is idled... it runs fine. It never cuts off, but as soon as it is in motion, it cuts off when I'm not applying the gas or I use the brake coming to a stop sign. Do you have any suggestions on how i can fix this problem, because i have taken it to a couple of dealership, and they both can only suggest getting a major tune up.

Answer
Hello fellow Texan,

This sounds like a really nice car. The 368 is one of Cadillac's better engines. This is not your correction, but a suggestion. Dump the 4-6-8 and run on 8 cylinders. All it takes is to disconnect one wire on the driver's side under the hood and if you need more detail, I am sure I can get it for you. Cadillac had severe problems with this fine idea and it simply will give you trouble. On second thought, that may even add to the issue you have now.

Low miles are great except they too come with issues. I hope you flush the transmission and brake fluids and change the differential oil. The anti freeze/coolant has long been overdue to be changed by 29 years if never changed. These are things people commonly don't think of forgetting about the age and the expiration of these fluids.

It is possible you have a vacuum leak at the TBI. Gaskets dry out over time. You can let the engine idle and spray some carb cleaner near the outside of the throttle body. If the engine speeds up, check the vacuum lines for a leak.

Chances are real good because f the age this is what you are dealing with. I would also suggest changing the fuel filter. Unleaded gasoline turns to varnish in 3 months. How old is this car?

Let me know how it works out.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Coming soon!!! Our new website will be up shortly. http://www.doctorofjustice.com. With well over 20 years in forensics and dealing with locks and keys, we are expanding our field into trace evidence analysis as it relates to crime and it definitely looks like defense attorneys will need our services and stellar methodology.
We have been anal retentive as for evidence gathering and documentation, which has been proven in 18 state courts and federal courts for 16 years by our firm. What we are seeing from law enforcement causes us great concern when defendants are charged with crimes. Lack of or very poor photographs, no supporting documentation, evidence damaged and discarded. Its really quite frightening and it is more common that not public defenders and some defense attorneys miss golden opportunities to get their client exonerated on these issues.
We will also be offering interactive forensic training for those that are interested. We are very excited in expanding our services past automotive.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter