Cadillac Repair/1991 cadillac deville

I just bought a 1991 cadillac deville & its leaking gas & its strong. Could it be the fuel pump? Or too muchgas? Overflow?

Hello Kalina,

About the only thing I can tell you for certain is that the problem is not a fuel pump because the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank.
This question cannot be specifically answered over the Internet and requires physical examination of the vehicle.
I can only give rough ideas, but they would have to be confirmed by someone looking at the vehicle.
The fuel filter located underneath the vehicle on the left rear frame rail could be leaking. You did not state where in the US you are located, but if in the rust belt where salt and calcium chloride is used, you could have a fuel line rusted through.

If the check engine light on the dash has been on, this could be a computer associated issue where the engine is running too rich (flooding). The Charcoal canister charcoal filter can be filled with gas. You could have a leaking fuel line at the intake manifold.

This vehicle is fuel injected meaning there is pressure for the fuel lines of 50-60 psi which means if you even have a small leak, the gas is going to come rushing out.

I would love to have an exact answer for you, but no one without looking at this vehicle can give you an accurate answer.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.