Cadillac Repair/Loss of coolant

Question
Hi, I recently bought a 1997 Cadillac Deville with 111,000 miles on it. Everything in the vehicle looks and runs great, but it slowly loses coolant. I have to add almost a gallon of coolant per tank of gas. I have taken it to 2 shops. Both places pressure tested the system and told me the same thing, that the pressure initially holds but then decreases very slowly and neither of them can find any leaks. Is my engine burning of the coolant? Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks,

Mark

Answer
Hello,

Here is the bad news: A Cadillac aluminum engine can never be over heated. With a 50/50 coolant mix, if the engine reaches 220 (I say that for safety) that engine needs to be shut down immediately! These engines are unforgiving and begin to melt at 225 degrees.

They have a whole host of cooling system issues and it can be something as minor as old water pump gasket remains to plug the water jackets in the engine. A good used engine at a junk yard is impossible to find because a majority have been overheated and generally the only answer for the repair of a vehicle with a severely overheated engine is a $4,000.00 GM crate engine.

I list all this so you are aware of what you are dealing with. In the archives I probably have over a hundred questions I have answered on Cadillac cooling system issues.

Just because they can't find a leak, does not mean there isn't one. I wonder who taught the people at both shops as to how a cooling system pressure system tester actually works. I do not say this to be mean. I say this because they are probably not familiar with the Cadillac aluminum engine and the problems associated with it.

You did not state as to how slowly it looses pressure. It is not supposed to loose pressure until the engine is cool. Now, this is what concerns me: These engines are notorious for head gaskets, which is never the cause of an overheating situation, but the after effect.

If it is losing pressure and a trail cannot be seen, you either have a blown head gasket which would cause you to burn coolant in this case, or you have a cracked block.
Did anyone check the oil? If its white and milky colored, your coolant is going into the crankcase. If you are burning it, depending on the leak, you may see why smoke, but if you get near the tail pipes, you may smell a sweet smell with the engine running.

Also check the passenger floor carpeting for a wet sticky feeling which could be a small leak in the heater core and if they are checking the engine area, they obviously would not be looking there.

You have a leak and if you need head gaskets your are looking at about $1,500.00. Heater core replacement is pricey as well, but you need to find the problem.

Good luck and let me know what is found.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter