Cadillac Repair/1996 Cadillac De ville concour

My electronic front struts were noisy Midas replaced them with a conversion kit made to replace the electronic one. According to the mechanic no electronic was included in the kit which was similar to the MO9008 part number. Now every time I start,the car this message comes on SERVICE RIDE CONTROL and when I drive a second message comes on saying I can not drive over 90 miles per hour.
I am able to cancel all of the above, but it's a nuisance.
Any suggestions.
Thank you.

I would take the car back to Midas and tell them its their problem. If they are no longer using the electronic struts, this replacement kit is either defective or their are connectors to sensors no longer attached. Before they installed the struts they should have informed you of the collateral damage A/K/A not an exact replacement and the computer would be informing you of the ride control issues.

Here is your problem: You can't just unplug something from a computer system, which is exactly what was done. Even if ou shut this message off, it would continue to renotify you forever without the electronics being connected. The sensors on the struts are part of the computer system leaving an open loop in the computer system. I am not sure in this particular case, but generally when any computer message comes up, it effects the drivability, performance and gas mileage.

I can't believe that a company like Midas which is reputable would sell a product that was inferior to the factory design, but evidently they did.
When dealing with replacement parts, they can function mechanically, but if they do not meet factory specs, I would never have such prts installed in my vehicle.

Did they inform you that these struts possibly at less cost were inferior to the factory style electronic version? Did they have you sign a waver releasing them from any liability?

The only way you are going to correct your problem is to have the factory style electronic struts installed on the vehicle where the sensors are connected closin the open connection in the computer.

As I said, I still find it very difficult to believe a company like Midas would sell and install a product that does not meet factory specs even at a lower cost.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.