Cadillac Repair/85 eldorado won,t start without priming

my 85 eldorao will only start and drive at least 45 miles as long as i pour starter fluid in throttle body..put on new fuel filter a week ago..fuel pump three years ago...about 25,000 miles...i check the fuel line behind throttle body ..looks like air has gas coming out when pushed

Never use starting fluid on the 4.1 aluminum engine or you could be picking up pieces of the engine after they explode. I am dead serious! Everyone thinks to use starter fluid to replace a spray bottle of gasoline. Idiots at the parts stores will sell highly explosive ether to anyone. Starting fluid is meant only for a non combustible engine A/K/A diesel. If you can go 45 miles before you have the fuel delivery issue the problem could be a fuel pump computer or even a sensor or anything else. I would recommend going on Ebay or craigs to locate a factory service manual. There are diagnostic flow charts that will assist you.

My guess would be a bad or leaking fuel pump in the tank. I don't car if it was replaced 3 years ago. Fuel pumps can cavitate sucking air and not giving you the pressure you need.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.