Cadillac Repair/1992 Cadillac Seville

Question
Hello, Mr. Painter.

My only car is a 1992 Cadillac Seville with 93,100 miles. Although 21 years old, the exterior is good. The interior is worn.

Exactly one week ago I drove it to the mechanic's shop that has worked on my car for ten years. They fixed the problem (straining sound)) when turning the steering wheel, with fluid and a pump. However, when they turned the key to start the car out of their garage, the car responded with the anti-theft warning. They pondered the problem and went to Radio Shack to get a VAT bypass kit but that did not work. They tried both keys, neither worked. The mechanic suggested towing it to the Cadillac shop but instead I discreetly called the dealership to ask what the problem could be. "Sounds like a transponder problem that will cost you $580." The mechanic and I thought that was too costly so I called an Auto Locksmith who was kind to offer his suggestions to the mechanic over the phone, since neither key worked and said maybe the wires behind the dashboard or the fuses. Meanwhile, my mechanic's company offered to pay on a rental car for me while they worked on my car. I didn't accept their offer because helping them may also help me. Tomorrow (seventh day) they are expecting new keys for my car. I am hoping this solves the problem completely. If not, "What could it be?" and the estimated "Cost?"

Thank you for your time.

Answer

How ignorant can the dealer be? Transponders were not offered in this model until 2000. In over ten years, I have not heard a knowledgeable response from a dealer. All I get is complaints about the dealers replacing parts and not fixing the problem. Good thing you never took the car to the dealer.

Sounds like your mechanic is a stand up guy and really cares for you--rare!

It's very possible that since this is not the mechanics expertise with bypassing the system, its very possible that he misread the value or has a bad connection. I am sure he is good at what he does, but this bypass can be touchy. What was the message on the dash? Vehicle may not start in 3 minutes? The computer could have failed as well. If that is the case, the bypass would not work anyway.

I wish you would have contacted me before doing the resistor bypass. I don't understand the reason for ordering keys at this point because the system is already bypassed.

I have never seen a resistor key fail, unless the resistor fell out and was missing. Keep in mind I have been involved in thousands of these situations.

My email is robo14@aol.com

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter