Cadillac Repair/84 Cadillac Biarritz

Several issues with the 84 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz I recently purchased.

1. Trouble starting. It starts and runs for a second or two then dies. It usually takes about 5 tries before it actually starts. Once it starts it stays running. The auto parts store said my alternator was bad, so I changed it. Recharged the battery. It still had the same issue. So I just changed the fuel filter but it is still having the same starting issue.

2. The Thermostat control center is not working nor the fuel data center, nor the speakers. The radio works but no sound comes from the speakers whatsoever. The wire harnass behind the Temp and fuel centers are connected, but I cant see any codes since neither are working. The check soon light is also on so that is why I wanted to check the codes. I noticed no air worked so I looked under the hood and noticed two areas were I am assuming is the AC Compressor. It has two little wires that go to it and plug in? The other area is a set of wires that plug in near the firewall. It has like a 4 or 5 wire pring connector that plugs in to what I am guessing is AC System related. If I plug these back in with a bad ac compressor will that mess anything up?

Please remember I volunteer my time and it is difficult to answer so many issues at once.
What is with these goofs at the parts stores and dealers? Don't they know anything but changing out perfectly good parts?
Look, I am not there so all I can do is guess. It sounds like you have a bad fuel pump inside the fuel tank. Take the car to a service center and have them test the fuel pressure when the vehicle is starting as you describe.
Why someone would diagnose an alternator for a drivability issue is beyond me unless he gets commission, which makes the parts guy a crook. Either that or he is just plain stupid and should not be giving any diagnostic advice. I see this crap all the time! Let me know if I am correct about the fuel pump.
You haven't told me what kind of stereo you have. If Bose, the speakers are amplified and have a separate power source. Did someone put a standard stereo in? Bose speakers will not be compatible.
You need to check all the fuses and look in the owners manual to make sure there is only one fuse box in the vehicle.
As for the a/c, there are problems already (possibly a seized clutch and that is why tose two little wires are unplugged. The other part you are describing sounds like the fan resister module that failed all the time and if one could even be purchased, over $300. They were bad new. Fan blower would run constantly draining battery.

Of course when the fan blower did not work, they never checked to see if power was going to the motor and of course never fixed the problem. At any given time walking through a dealership in the service area, I would see 4 or 5 Cadillacs with their hoods up and the resistor block being changed under warranty. Very common fine Cadillac problem!

There is only one way to bypass to give you high blower and off and that is your only repair. You can't try using rheostats or resistors to control fan speed without burning up the car. Send me a separate question on how to at least get the blower to function.

Cadillac was notorious for this, power antenna masts that would break and the 4100 factory engine rist pin knock. Its an aluminum engine and never run it above 220 degrees or it will start melting!All junk yard engines have been overheated and junk, so you won't get a used engine for it either.
I have great luck with the 4.1. You just need to be aware.

Go to Ebay and see if you can get a factory Cadillac service manual. You need it. You could have had one for less than you paid for the alternator and you would not have seen the need to change it! The factory service manual is the absolute best tool you can have to fix your car.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.