Cadillac Repair/canvas top

Do canvas top come from factory or is it and after market part

This is a good question. You did not indicate the year, because I have not seen those roofs on the newer vehicles. They were popular in the 90's and into the 2000s.
The roof is not made from Cadillac, but for Cadillac by an outside vendor and installed at the factory. So what you have is an after market part if you will installed at the factory.
Auto manufacturers use many outside vendors for a variety of components.
Many over pay for ignition locks and kys at the dealer, and these are aftermarket components made to factory specs to be assembled in the car. The locksmith gets the ignition locks and keys from the same aftermarket supplier from Milwaukee and will sell these components for a more reasonable price. When buying from the dealer, the person is paying a huge mark up for that package with a GM part number. The same hold true with steering columns,seat material etc. The factory is just assembling all of this as a unit.
From my experience, Ford and AMC were the two largest outsource companies years ago. In a AMC or Renault, the tech may find up to 5 different manufacturers for an alternator.
Fords were a nightmare to get parts for a vehicle because just to get a simple tie rod, one almost had to describe the color of the car.
The other issue is availability. For trim, such as a roof cover, replacement components were only available for 1-5 years. The only way a mock roof can be serviced on an older car is at a trim shop and if any structural components such as around the windows or top are broken or missing, you would need to go to the junk yard and be very careful to remove for the trim shop.
I will admit, I did my share of cussing replacing broken rear door glass on vehicles with these tops. It was a nightmare!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.