Cadillac Repair/why wont my car start

I have a 1989 cadallic brougham fleedwood and when I went out today to start it ' it wouldn't start but it cranks and the lights and everything comes on . I have never had this problem before .

Look, I am good at repairing the impossible over the Internet and have been very successful for over 10 years, however you are asking me a totally open question here, which could be absolutely anything to do with fuel delivery, spark plugs, wires, coil,electronics, gasoline. The limits are infinite.

I can tell you what the problem isn't. It is not the factory ignition based anti theft system known as VATS because that premiered in 1990.
The fact that this problem has only happened once will require step by step by step diagnoses, first checking for fuel and then spark. You have a computer in this car that complicates more as well along with sensors. There is no one that can answer this question without being physically at the car to determine exactly what the specific problem is in this specific car.

This question is similar to asking me as to how much it will cost to repair a dent on a vehicle I never saw.

Please understand, these cars don't have one set problem related to your request. If you asked me on a 1990 and up in which the engine won't crank, I would tell you to consider the ignition, because they failed constantly. If you told me the heater blower ran until the car battery was dead, that is a common issue. If you told me that the engine was running hot, another common Cadillac problem. If you told me the trunk pull down didn't work, I could tell you how to go around it. Another common Cadillac problem.

Your question is too general to have a clue as to what is wrong or even what to look for. This requres a process of elimination with someone at the car. It could be as simple as getting a bad tank of fuel.

Good Luck and sorry I can't answer your question.  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.