Cadillac Repair/Broken switch box.

QUESTION: I have a broken switch box by the gas and break pedal. It looks to have two switches and don't know what it is for. I need to know what it is for and where to find the replacement? It's for my 1981 Cadillac Deville 368.

Please send a photo.

Broken switch
Broken switch  
QUESTION: I'm sending a picture of the switch box that is broken. Hope you guys can help. Thank you.

Hello Jose,

Thank you for sending the photo. To be perfectly honest, I haven't got a clue as to what that is for, because that does not appear to be factory installed. This appears to be some after market component for something.
If you were dealing with a factory harness, both the wires would be molded together to each other. Instead, you have 4 loose wires.
The problem with older vehicles is that one  ever knows who installed something and for what purpose.
Where do the wires lead to? Have yu tried to trace them backwards?
Just looking at this component does not look familiar and keep in mind a majority of our work was to replace dashes and rebuild steering columns on GM vehicles.
I would suggest following the wires and see where they lead to. If on your way you find butt connectors, scotch locks, this will confirm it is some sort of after market piece for something. Then get back o me because I am seeing only one piece of the puzzle.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.