Cadillac Repair/1992 sedan deville

Twice in he last 2 weeks car just died completely no power of any kind. Pulled over waited 10-15 min and it started right up. This am wouldn't start no power waited an hour started  right up? Any suggestions on what might be causing shut down?

Hello Jim,

Although I would like to assist you, there are two issues that restrict anyone on the Internet o give you an accurate answer. I do not like seeing anyone chasing ghosts and replacing parts on a guess as well as the waste of time and money.

Intermittent problems cannot be repaired until they turn constant. One has to replicate the problem. Was the engine at a specific temperature? Does the engine stall after a certain time of driving? Driving down a certain bumpy road etc.? You need to be able to replicate the problem.

Secondly without being at the vehicle and eliminating all potential issues, tring to repair is impossible.

I can give you some general ideas, but I sure would not go out and replace parts based on my suggestions that could cause your no power situation. Fuel filter or some other fuel delivery issue, partially clogged catalytic converter, computer or sensor problem, bad call pack (coil)and the list goes on.

I know you would like an absolute answer, but no one on the Internet or even looking at the vehicle is going to give you the correct diagnoses on this vehicle for an intermittent problem.
Wish I could be more helpful, however the best answer is an honest one.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.