Cadillac Repair/98' Cadillac Deville D'Elegance

I just started driving this car again in December 2013. She sat for almost four years before that. I noticed many problems at first but most were solved with a good tune-up. Now the main two problems I am having are a shaking or stutter when I am accelerating, let off the gas, or push harder, it stops (between 25-40mph). When I have my husband drive it, she don't do it!?
Second problem is my lights, interior, headlamps, and tail lights flicker when I am driving. My dash lights also get really dim. Don't know if this matters, but the climate control buttons on the dash seem to be going out one by one?
I would greatly appreciate ANY help or advice you could give me on this situation, I love this car and would like to keep it running properly.

The first thing you need to realize is that shelf life on unleaded gasoline is no more than three months before it starts turning to varnish. Here you have had 4 years. The fuel tank should be dropped, boiled out f possible. There is a very thin screen in the tank called a sock. Chances are that it needs to be replaced and if you didn't get a fuel filter at the time of the tune up, I highly recommend.
I also recommend having the brake fluid flushed because condensation builds up in the master and change the anti freeze/coolant because it is only good for three years before breaking down. Now, if varnish is not the problem in the tank and it is a condensation issue, you can try installing a bottle of heat in the tank and see what happens when it comes to the fuel issue.

As for the flickering lights, it could be a bad battery, an alternator not putting out properly or a bad frame ground at the negative cable. All one needs to do is remove the bolt at the frame, scrape the frame and the cable eyelet to bare metal and reinstall the bolt.

You do not want to take the car to a dealer because they have a tendency of replacing perfectly good components. A reputable service garage can diagnose the problem without parts changing without fixing the problem.

Many go to parts stores for a charging/battery issue like Auto Zone. Yes, they have the equipment, however they are very common at misdiagnosing. They are not technicians and there job is to sell you parts whether you need them or not.

The charging/battery issue is critical because you can be left stranded.

Good luck and let me know how it all works out or you.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.