Cadillac Repair/dome light wiring in 2001 deville

Question
I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville, my dome light but was stuck in the on position. I removed the dome light to see if I could shut it off manually but no luck so I took the back wire out of the light now the car will not start and the light is still on wat do I do next. I tried to jump the battery but no luck. Please help wat did I do??

Answer
Hello,

This is one of those Times I can't really elobarate because I a not at the vehicle. As you are finding, this is not simplistic like the older vehicles were. You have a body control module (BCM-computer)that controls every electronic aspect in the vehicle.
I do not know what you mean where the engine does not start. Does the engine crank? Or is the battery discharged and won't crank. You cold have a short to ground somewhere. I don't remember anymore if this vehicle has a doorjamb operated pin switch to turn the dome on, or if this control is built into the door. This is not a common problem, so nothing jumps out at me.
I do not know how removing the power wire would prevent the engine from starting, however that might be a very good indicator of a short somewhere and the dome lite may not be a problem with that circuit, but could be feedback.
The way I have had to diagnose these issues is with the use of a factory service manual, using the flow charts to eliminate all potential problems until I find out exactly what is wrong. If you have disrupted the power from the dome lite and it i still on, its obvious that something else is feeding it.
You can go to http://www.alldata.com and see if they have a service manual for your vehicle, you can download for about $30.00. Otherwise you will have to check Ebay or Craigs.
These vehicles are complicated and so often the owner thinks he can repair without information. It used to be that way, but since computes, the game has changed and nothing is what it appears to be. Worse yet, more problems are created unwittingly.
The factory manual is the best tool to repair without guessing.
I am sorry I cannot be more assistance to you, but without a manual and seeing exactly what the issue is, what wire you removed and if it plays any role in the engine starting, it would be irresponsible for me to guess and cost you money and time, replacing components you did not need. If you decide to end the vehicle out for repair, the worst place you can go to is the dealer who will replace as many parts as you can afford without fixing the problem. Reputable service centers are equipped to handle these issues.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter