Cadillac Repair/1983 Cadillac Seville

Question
Hello,, I have a 1983 cadillac seville and the digitial odometer and fule guage started flickering on and off and now it shows no readout at all,, can u tell me the problem and what needs to be replaced?  thanks

Answer
Hello,

These displays had issues new requiring the IP to be sent to a GM Delco authorized stereo store for repair.
You could have a bad or loose dash ground under the dash. You could have a cracked circuit board in the cluster.
Sometimes these problems show their ugly head on a crisp cool morning and as it warms up ans the circuit board expands over day eating, problem is gone. Unfortunately, you are dealing with very old electronics, that I know of no on that even repairs this stuff anymore, if the cluster is the issue.

As I do frequently, I recommend that you purchase a 1983 Cadillac Seville/Eldorado service manual from Craig's list or Ebay.
The diagnostic flow charts can walk you through diagnoses and repair of this and any other problem you may run across in the future taking all the guess work out.
I have owned 5 or 6 Eldos of that vintage and lso had dash IP cluster problems and I could not get those problems serviced, but at that time, there were still plenty of those cars at the junk yards for parts.
Te manual will tell you where the grounds and connections are as well as tell you how to remove the cluster without breaking anything on brittle plastic.
You might find a manual for around $50.00. A very chep reliable tool!

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter